• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Snippets
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Council Comments
  • Special Interests
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
    • What’s Hot
  • Features
    • Women in Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Loving Local Living
    • Wellness Wise
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Forbes Phoenix

Forbes Phoenix

Parkes Phoenix Editor

Maggi Barnard has been with the Forbes Phoenix since 2021 and loves writing about her community.

Lachlan Laundry Reopens In New Location

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

NOW OPEN: Lachlan Laundry reopened at 19 Rankin Street last week. They can be reached on Ph: 68511309. Customer entrance via the back in Lawler Street.


When three businesses burnt down (including Lachlan Laundry) at the end of 2020, Lachlan Laundry owner Michele Clifton was already fielding questions about when she would open again. Nine months later and Michele has reopened Lachlan Laundry at the other end of Rankin Street next to Job Link Plus – 19 Rankin Street.

“I wanted to keep working and I really enjoyed the social aspect and interactions that come with the business,” said Michele. “The support from the community since we reopened has been incredible and I am very grateful”.

Lachlan Laundry will open five days a week (Monday to Friday) from 9am to 5pm and the laundromat can handle residential and commercial jobs.

Michele admits that as tough as the fire was, COVID didn’t help either, delaying the reopening due to lockdowns and restrictions. Yet despite the disruptions it never once dampened her resolve or that of staff member Jayne Hurford.

“One step at a time and don’t look back – what’s happened has happened,” she said. “Big thanks to Angela as well and the family – you’ve all been great and a tremendous help. I couldn’t have done it without you all”.

Sporting Shooters Return Fire

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

The Forbes S.S.A.A. sporting shooters .22 cabilre rimfire rifle shoot was held on Sunday 19th September. The results of this shoot were:

• 25metre G300 target shoot – John Gorman, 298/300; Brian Neilsen, 297/300; John Dean, 296/300.

• 50metre Rabbit target shoot were -John Dunkley, 243/250; Brian Neilsen, 240/250; John Dean, 234/250.

• 75metre Rabbit target shoot were – John Dean, 113/120; Norm Brook, 109/120; Phil Anderson, 109/120.

• 100metre Bear target shoot – Norm Brook, 113/120; John Dean, 108/120; Anthony Bratton, 106/120.

The next S.S.A.A. sporting shooters .22 cabilre and other rimfire rifle (.22 magnum or.17HMR), Wednesday shoot will be held on Wednesday 29th September, starting at 2pm. The next Sunday shoot will be held on Sunday 3rd October, starting at 10am. The Centre-fire rifle shoots start at 2pm after the Rimfire shoots on Sunday. Junior shooters must be 12 years or over. Like us on Facebook @forbessportingshooters.

Thank You People Of Forbes

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

THANK YOU FORBES: Of the 932 families who have stayed with RMHC Orange so far, more than half have been families seeking specialist and life-saving treatment for their child or adolescent. Forbes Wear Red Day earlier this year at the Forbes Sports and Recreation Club helped raise vital funds again.

To The Editor,

I am writing to the people of Forbes to express the heartfelt thanks of everyone associated with Ronald McDonald House Charities in Orange for the fantastic support of our Wear Red Day fundraiser held earlier this year.

The sum of $34,434 was raised throughout the region, and those funds will remain in Orange to directly support families from the central and far west.

To date, 91 families from Forbes have stayed at the Orange house for a total of 458 nights. This represents a savings in accommodation alone of $68,700 for families from Forbes and surrounding district who have found themselves in a situation where they must seek emergency care for their child in Orange Hospital.

Special thanks must go to the Mayor of Forbes Cr Phyllis Miller who was instrumental in rallying the people of Forbes to support Wear Red Day. We are so grateful for her passion and ongoing support.

Here at Ronald McDonald House Orange we provide so much more than just a bed for the night at no charge.

Families may stay for as long as required which can be weeks or months and are provided with a number of services at no cost.

Our thanks to Deb Roylance and her team for her enthusiasm and ongoing support with fundraising.

Rebecca Walsh
Executive Officer
Ronald McDonald House Charities Orange

COVID Surveillance Testing Piloted Into Forbes

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

SURVEILLANCE TESTING IN FORBES: Last week after lockdown restrictions were eased Forbes recorded another positive sewerage test despite having no new recorded cases. Other towns have also experienced the same issue prompting surveillance tests from WNSWLHD to be rolled-out.

The Western NSW Local Health District (WNSWLHD) is currently piloting COVID-19 surveillance testing in a number of communities where there are circumstances that could be explained by more wide-spread testing.

“Surveillance testing is different from what we’ve been doing previously in that we want to test as many people as possible, regardless of whether they have symptoms or not,” said WNSWLHD Chief Executive Scott McLachlan.

“People who aren’t close contacts or who don’t have any symptoms themselves or in anyone else in their household are then not required to self-isolate until they get their results. We’re going to pilot that approach in a number of communities where we have questions that could be resolved by widespread testing”.

Mr McLachlan said those issues might include:
• detections in sewage testing where there aren’t any known cases (Forbes);
• significant community transmission (Bathurst);
• known cases where contact tracing hasn’t been able to determine the likely source of transmission (Brewarrina).

“Initially we’re offering surveillance testing in places (like Forbes) because of sewage detections with no known cases locally. Testing is available in all these communities and we want to encourage people to come forward to make a contribution to the surveillance testing”.

“We obviously still need people who have symptoms, or who are identified as close contacts, to be tested”.

Mr McLachlan said the response to surveillance testing in those locations would be monitored to determine how it could be rolled out across the whole of the Local Health District. Other towns aside from Forbes also included among other towns in the Western NSW Lachlan Health District were Trangie and Lightning Ridge.

Innovation At Heart Of NSW Water Strategy

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

NSW WATER STRATEGY: The NSW Water Strategy sets the overarching vision for 12 regional and two metropolitan water strategies also being developed, tailored to the individual needs of each region in the state. Photo courtesy of Forbes Shire Council.

The NSW Government last week launched the NSW Water Strategy, a 20-year blueprint to deliver resilient and sustainable water resources to communities across the state ensuring NSW is leading the charge when it comes to innovation.

The strategy coincides with the launch of the Water Project Map, a new tool for people to access information about all water infrastructure projects across NSW.

Minister for Water, Property and Housing Melinda Pavey said the Strategy is NSW’s first-ever platform for the long-term management of water, which will guide future water planning and policy, and how, where and when water infrastructure investments are made.

“This strategy, underpinned by cutting-edge climate modelling, will help our state work towards becoming a world leader in water innovation and efficiency,” Mrs Pavey said.

“In the next 12 months we’ll refocus our efforts on water conservation and leakage reduction in our cities, towns and regional centers, and deliver a state-wide water efficiency framework.

“We’ll also look for opportunities to invest in research and development, and new technologies, including recycled water opportunities for industrial and agricultural uses.”

The Government will investigate and invest in supply options including stormwater harvesting and water reuse, and look at developing a consistent approach to water restrictions.

“We’re exploring a range of options, including boosting water recycling across communities for watering crops and gardens, fighting fires, flushing toilets and reducing pollution in our waterways,” Mrs Pavey said.

“People living in NSW make up more than a third of Australia’s population, and over the next 20 years, our state will grow by 2.8 million. We need the right infrastructure in place to enable this growth, knowing the challenges we face with a changing climate,” Mrs Pavey said.

Be Seen

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

CARRAWOBITTY SUNRISE: This photo by local Monica Wren at Carrawobitty is from the RDA Central West Photography Competition that closes today. The theme for 2021 is ‘there’s no place like home’ and applicants are encouraged to capture the essence of their hometown and enter via – www.rdacentralwest.org.au

 

CORDIAL MOMENT: The J & R.A Genge cordial factory was established in Forbes approximately 1950. With brothers John (Jack) and Roy Genge. Following Roy’s death in 1968 John went into partnership with his brother-in-law Allan Bullock. John then passed away in 1983 with Allan moving the factory from Dowling St to Farnell St. The name then became Lachlan Valley Cordials. Photo courtesy of Forbes Museum.

 

VINTAGE EFFORT: Forbes Shire Council Mayor Phyllis Miller with Deputy Mayor Chris Roylance checking out the progress of the new Visitor Centre at the Lachlan Vintage Village site.

 

MEERKAT MANOR: New Meerket pups have been born at Taronga Western Plain Zoo in Dubbo to the delight of staff. Photo courtesy of TWPZ.

$1 Million Driver Reviver Boost For Central West

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

More than $1 million will be invested to upgrade Driver Reviver sites across the Riverina and Central West to help combat road user fatigue. It comes as part of the Federal Government’s announcement of $7.2 million in funding for upgrades to 71 roadside rest areas across the country through Round 2 of the Driver Reviver Site Upgrade Program.

Federal Member for Riverina Michael McCormack said this important funding was about saving lives on rural and regional roads.

“I am pleased to announce a total of $1,061,221 in Federal funding will go towards upgrading a number of Driver Reviver sites in the Riverina and Central West – including in Ardlethan, Cootamundra, Cowra, Forbes, Harden, Parkes, Spring-dale (near Temora) and Wagga Wagga,” Mr McCormack said.

“Road safety has always been a high priority of mine and I am delighted to see this important funding going towards increasing safety on our roads, particularly during Rural Road Safety Month,” he said.

“The Federal Government is investing in these vital Driver Reviver sites because they are important in helping to reduce the incidence of road trauma and death on rural and regional roads. This funding forms part of the Federal Government’s $3 billion investment to the Road Safety Program, which will save lives and ensure people get where they need to go sooner and safer.”

The Australian Government is working closely with states, territories and local governments to develop the National Road Safety Strategy 2021-30 to move towards zero fatalities and serious injuries on our roads. More information on the Australian Government’s road safety initiatives is available at www.officeofroadsafety.gov.au.

Course Yields High Scores

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard


Last Saturday 90 players participated in the Men’s Individual Stableford comp, sponsored by Forbes Tuesday Golfers. The players shrugged off a midday shower to utilise the best conditions of the course and post some high scores.

Once again the Div-1 scores were quite close, necessitating a count back. Barry Shine, who got better as the day progressed, scored 38 points and was anointed winner on count back from Andy Cogswell, who was glad to be out playing.

The Div-2 had the better scores with Stuart Thomas calculating his way around for 41 points. Close behind were three players on 40 points, with Jake Hemming the winner on count back.

The ball sweep went to 33 points on count back, so please check in the Pro Shop. The NTP’s went to: 9th – Phil Wells, 18th – Glen Hooper. The 3rd hole Super Pin went to Clint Hurford with a shot of 1.4 metre proximity, which thrilled his day. Sam Ridley was the only visitor.

Sunday’s Stableford Medley saw many golfers enjoying the sunny conditions and dry greens. The winner was Jake Hemming with 36 points, ahead of Anthony Alley on 33 points. The ball sweep went to 32 pts on count back with Jake LeBrocque getting that. The 9th NTP went untouched, while the 18th NTP went to Anthony Alley.

With the release of Forbes Shire from ‘Stay-at-Home’ rules, golf will return to groups of 4 for competition play. Players must still wear their masks around the Pro Shop, use the QR code to register, and exercise social distancing at all times. Refer to the notices at the Pro Shop for more details.

On Saturday September 25, there is an Individual Stroke event, sponsored by Niel’s Complete Carpet Cleaning, in place of the programmed Roylances Cup. On Sunday there will be a Stableford Medley.

By Short Putt

Vaccination Effort Extended Til October

September 24, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

Western NSW Local Health District (WNSWLHD) has announced an extension of its partnership with the Australian Defence Force (ADF), allowing more COVID-19 vaccinations to be administered across the region.

This comes on the heels of a successful three-day second-dose clinic run by the ADF in Forbes last weekend at Forbes Town Hall.

The ADF will now stay on in Western NSW until the end of October, enabling many of the upcoming second-dose clinics to also offer additional first doses to those communities.

Scott McLachlan, WNSWLHD Chief Executive, said the extension will play a significant role in boosting the District’s vaccination rate even further.

“We will be announcing further details on clinics in the coming days, which will also be available on the WNSWLHD website and we will continue promoting individual clinics in the lead-up too. These clinics have contributed significantly to the rise in vaccination rates across Western NSW.”

The WNSWLHD/ADF vaccination effort reached a major milestone, with the completion of the first round of vaccination clinics last week. Almost 30,000 vaccinations have been administered across more than 30 communities in the District since the clinics started on August 21 in Dubbo.

Tight Tussle To Determine Winners

September 17, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

SMACK: Rob Webb cracks a tee shot down the middle in the weekend Stableford at Forbes Golf Course. 94 players turned out to play in excellent conditions.


The field for Saturday’s Men’s Individual Stableford comp, sponsored by Albie Callaghan, was a very healthy 94 players. They all enjoyed the sunshine and fought hard to win the event.

In Div-1 the scores were quite close with five players a possibility to win. Eventually Ben Robinson prevailed with 38 points, finishing his round in great style. Runner-up on count back was Kim Herbert with 37 pts, nudging out three other golfers.

The Div-2 had a count back for the Winner’s position. Both Peter Tisdell and Isaac Vale finished on 39 points, but the nod went to Peter after an extensive count back process.

The ball sweep went to 35 points on count back, so please check in the Pro Shop. The NTP’s went to: 9th – Terry Griffiths, 18th – Todd Callaghan. The 3rd hole Super Pin went to Ian Bown with a shot of 1.1 metre proximity, the best for many weeks. Sam Ridley was the only visitor.

Sunday’s Stableford Medley was well supported and resulted in a stalwart player finally getting a good reward, although it was not easy.

The winner was Louise French who managed 39 points and succeeded on count back. Runner-up was Jake Shaw (39 pts). The ball sweep went to 36 pts on count back. The 9th NTP went to Harry Callaghan, while the 18th NTP went to Julie Hurkett.

The Parkes Open which was scheduled for this weekend has been cancelled.
On Saturday 18th September, there is an Individual Stableford in place of the programmed 4BBB Stableford Multiplier. On Sunday there will be a Stableford Medley.

By Short Putt

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  • 98
  • 99
  • …
  • 534
  • Next Page »

Click here to download the recent issue (176) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (1.6MB PDF) – 13th February 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Forbes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Recent Articles

  • A $7.6 Million Boost For Forbes Future Water Security February 12, 2026
  • Mayoral Notes February 12, 2026
  • Snippets… February 12, 2026
  • Indigenous Storytellers Scholarship Returns February 12, 2026
  • Meet Indigenous Chef Mindy Woods At Forbes Crop Swap February 12, 2026

Phoenix Office 7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor 0432 337 278
editor@forbesphoenix.com.au

Sales 0432 337 278
sales@forbesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy. View our Conflict Resolution Process. View our Ethics and Complaints Policy. Want to advertise with us? Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in