• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Snippets
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Council Comments
  • Special Interests
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
    • What’s Hot
  • Features
    • Women in Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Loving Local Living
    • Wellness Wise
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Forbes Phoenix

Forbes Phoenix

Parkes Phoenix Editor

Maggi Barnard has been with the Forbes Phoenix since 2021 and loves writing about her community.

Forbes Sports Briefs

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

COMMUNITY FUNDING OPEN: The Community Funding Program is open twice annually and a total of $100,000 is available across two rounds for projects (including programs, activities, events and capital works) including Sports and Recreation. Contact FSC Grants Officer on 6850 2300.

 

SERIOUS BUSINESS: Forbes Croquet Club is not only attracting new members but also has some serious competition going on.

 

WASHED OUT: The Forbes Cricket Association Round 3 schedule of matches was a washout with only two rounds complete so far.

Forbes Floods 2021 Worst Since ‘52

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

ONE OF THE WORST: The 2021 Forbes floods will go down as one of the worst on record raising more questions about the overdue extension of the Wyangala Dam Wall. Pic courtesy of Farmpix/ Chris Watson; INSET: The 1952 floods still remain the most devastating Forbes has faced since records were kept. Pic courtesy of Forbes History Museum.

When locals talk about disasters many run through a list as long as an Aldi shopper docket of famous floods. There’s the flood of ’52, (INSET) one of a few big ones that decade for those old enough to remember. Then there’s the flood of 1990 and of course, 2016 the last, and one of the worst.

Since 1887 Forbes has experienced a major flood event, with peaks over 10 me-tres, on average every seven years. Major flooding occurring in June 1952 (10.8 metres); September 2016 (10.67 metres); August 1990 (10.65 metres); October 1955 (10.62 metres); March 2013 (10.55 metres); and in August 1998 (10.35 metres).

Forbes’ most recent major flood event was in late September 2016 after heavy rain fell on much of inland NSW; as the Bureau of Meteorology declared 2016 as the third-wettest winter on record.

The 2021 floods have hit just as farmers harvest winter crops and plant summer ones. It will mean sadly, that some may suffer a double blow. It never flooded in November, until now.

The NSW Bureau of Meteorology issued a flood warning for towns all along the Lachlan River this week and has been updating the community regularly while the NSW SES Local Forbes Unit has also been hard at it for over a month sand-bagging the town as rain continues to fill Wyangala and get released just as quick. Forbes Shire Mayor Phyllis Miller said the town was well-prepared but urged residents to exercise caution, be safe and if need be, evacuate!

Forbes Polo Club Inc. Get CBPP Funding

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

The electorate of Orange has secured $399,300 in funding for a total of seventeen projects through the NSW Government’s 2021 Community Building Partnership Program.

Member for Orange, Phil Donato MP said the State Government funds will deliver much-needed improvements to local facilities including an amenities block refurbishment at the Spring Hill Recreation Ground, an expansion of the school to work program in Trundle and the purchase of a driving simulator in Parkes for the delivery of road safety education.

“I congratulate all the organisations that were successful in their application and look forward to seeing how these projects make a real difference for community groups in our region,” Mr Donato said.

Forbes Polo Club Inc. was one of the successful applicants gaining funding for a vital equipment upgrade. The Community Building Partnership program has funded more than 16,000 community projects since it commenced in 2009.

In 2022, there is $400,000 to allocate in each electorate. Applications for the 2022 Program open in early 2022.

For more information about the NSW Government’s Community Building Partnership Program, visit www.nsw.gov.au/cbp

Local Team, Building A Better Internet Solution For Our Community

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

The team at Steele Technology have been busy constructing a new Wireless Internet service available throughout parts of Forbes and rural surrounding areas.

As the local IT shop and NBN reseller, they know firsthand what the services in our area can be like and how unreliable they can be. So they ventured on the path to build an alternative – A locally owned internet service provider, built from the ground up, focusing on friendly service, value and reliability.

After being able to secure a unique fiber service directly from Sydney to Forbes, Nathan and Mitch spent months building and testing before connecting the first customer. With more tower locations secured, they are looking forward to continuing to help our community with a better internet service.

Steele Technology have been able to provide a more reliable and faster option to over 200 businesses, families and rural properties alike – where previously some of these only had access to a satellite connection which was inadequate at the best of times, according to customers.

Their success has enabled them to employ a full time Installer John, and David a network engineer. Also having their current inhouse team of 11 staff to assist with all support and other enquiries.

For all of your IT solutions, call the friendly team at Steele Technology on 02 6852 3204, email them at sales@stech.com.au or call into the store at 126 Lachlan Forbes.

Forbes Woolworths OzHarvest Target

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

Woolworths Forbes is part of an ambitious donation target to raise the equivalent of seven million meals this Christmas to help support charity partner OzHarvest meet the demand for food relief statewide.

One in six Australian adults are now considered severely food insecure and more than half impacted by food insecurity go a day each week without eating.

To mark the seventh annual Christmas Appeal with OzHarvest, Woolworths NSW is aiming to join in achieving a record fundraising amount of $3.5million, in partnership with customers, to support Australian families in need; which is the equivalent of seven million meals.

Forbes Woolworths customers can now purchase a 50 cent token when they shop in-store or online which will help provide the equivalent of a meal to those in need of food relief across the country. Customers can also choose to round up their purchase to the nearest dollar, with proceeds going directly to the Christmas Appeal.

Additionally, another 50 cents will be donated from every limited edition, OzHarvest Santa Cookie sold in-store from 24 November, 2021. Woolworths has committed to a donation of $500,000 to kick off the appeal.

Since partnering with Woolworths, OzHarvest has collected more than 15 million kgs of food from stores, enabling the equivalent of 45 million meals to be delivered. Last year’s Woolworths Christmas Appeal raised the equivalent of six million meals that were donated to OzHarvest.
Please visit www.woolworths.com.au/shop/discover/community/ozharvest

Recovery Package To Boost Wellbeing For Regional Youth

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

Young people living in the Central West and Western NSW will be able to enjoy school holiday camps with their friend’s thanks to the NSW Government’s $200 million Regional Recovery Package.

Parliamentary Secretary to the Deputy Premier Sam Farraway said the $10 million to expand the popular Holiday Break program will give back the fun, care-free experiences our kids missed out on during the lockdowns.

“COVID-19 has been incredibly tough on everyone but particularly our young people, which is why the NSW Government is broadening this fantastic program,” Mr Farraway said.

“Through this initiative, we will provide free or subsidised activities over the school holidays including the very popular barbeque music nights and sports camps.”

Minister for Regional Youth Bronnie Taylor said the past two years have tested our young people and programs like the Holiday Break program give kids something to look forward to.

“Across rural and regional NSW, the Holiday Break program has been a roaring success and we look forward to seeing our young people make the most of their summer holidays,” Mrs Taylor said.

“This is a chance to get active, try new experiences and make lifelong friends”

For more information, please visit: www.nsw.gov.au/regional-nsw/holiday-fun-for-regional-youth

NSW Government Invites Visitors To Renew

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

FEEL NEW AND RENEW: Aside from Forbes, there are a plethora of places for visitors to the region ‘Feel New’ and ‘Renew’ such as Eugowra, known for its beautiful murals, delicious eateries and friendly people.

Looking to feel renewed? Looking to get out of the bustle for an idyllic escape to the country? The NSW Government last week unveiled the next phase of its ‘Feel New’ tourism marketing campaign to accelerate the recovery of the visitor economy.

It has been billed by the Perrottet-Toole state government as ‘Renew’, the new campaign has been timed to leverage the restart of intrastate travel and the progressive re-opening of state and territory borders.

Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney, and Minister for Industry and Trade Stuart Ayres said the ‘Renew’ campaign would tap into the sentiment of consumers seeking to visit somewhere new, experience something new, and renew themselves following months of restrictions and lockdown. Places like Forbes and others throughout the Central West.

“We’re inviting Australians to renew themselves by enjoying what NSW uniquely offers in terms of destinations, experiences and road trips, and help turbocharge the recovery of the hard-hit accommodation, cultural, entertainment, hospitality, tourism and events sectors,” Mr Ayres said.

“The ‘Renew’ campaign encapsulates the feeling we all have right now – to be re-energised after an incredibly challenging long haul – and, with NSW leading the country in opening up, now is time to hit the road and explore NSW and give our visitor economy the kickstart it needs and deserves,” he said.

“This new element of the ‘Feel New’ campaign, combined with the Government’s continuing injection of funds into visitor economy support programs, is exactly what’s needed to fast-track the state’s recovery.”

The ‘Renew’ campaign will run on radio, digital and social media, in key domestic markets until February 2022.

For more information on the ‘Feel New’ and ‘Renew’ tourism marketing campaigns visit www.destinationnsw.com.au/tourism/feel-new-visitor-brand and for travel inspiration go to www.visitnsw.com and www.sydney.com

Essential Services Stand Up Again

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

HARD AT IT: Lachlan SES Forbes Unit and other volunteers hard at it preparing for one of Forbes worst ever floods. Many along the Lachlan were told to evacuate on Sunday night as the waters rose. Pic courtesy of Lachlan SES Forbes Unit.

It is becoming a habit the past few years – first COVID-19 and now floods, have been the reason our essential service personnel are stepping up to the plate once again. One can only marvel at our amazing volunteers and support staff.

From the Lachlan SES Forbes Unit to Forbes Hospital and Health staff to Forbes Police and Forbes RFS – everyone has come together again when the community has needed it most. It is what makes our essential workers incredible – the selflessness and utilitarian belief that helping your neighbour eventually means everyone can succeed. It’s also what makes Forbes unique and it has been on show again this week – our spirit. A spirit no disaster can break.

By the time many of you read this most of our volunteers will have been running on fumes all week. They are tired and giving it their best – for all of us. We appreciate all you do for our little town – thank you!

Wash Outs A Plenty Over The Weekend

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

WET TRACK: The Forbes Autosports Club Round 3 MX Forbes Long Track was called off on the weekend after the track was deemed unsafe to ride. Pic courtesy of FASC.

After 18 months of little to no sport, rain was the last thing needed. From cricket to croquet to the Forbes Long Track Round 3 MX – most sporting events that weren’t under a roof were called off this weekend due to extensive rain and major flooding.

Senior and junior cricket were called at the end of last week after showers late last Friday scuppered any chance of play and as rain went into Saturday other junior sports followed suit as did seniors. By late Saturday afternoon the only sport was on television.

Meanwhile the track at the Forbes Autosports Club looked more like quicksand. Officials inspected the site and were hopeful of some racing but the God’s refused to listen as more rain fell while the track was being assessed forcing the club to cancel late.

The club will refund nominees in the Forbes Long Track and may still yet look for another weekend in the future to hold their race meet if possible so watch this space. Refunds can be obtained by calling the FASC Office on 0409 918 019.

Dent Leaves Impression On Rivals In Five-Stand Shoot

November 19, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

SHOTS FIRED: Forbes S.S.A.A. shooters were in action over the weekend despite inclement weather with visitors from as far away as Dubbo turning up for the events. Pic courtesy of Forbes S.S.A.A.

Ten shooters from Forbes, Parkes and Dubbo braved the cool and overcast conditions last Sunday and because of the wet weather, a five-stand shoot was held. Mathew Dent got the goodies with 18-22-21-18 total 79 to hold out a game Laurie Redfern 21-21-19-16 total 77. Third place was Adrian Hodges, 15-20-18-18 total 71

The next shoot for the Forbes S.S.A.A. sporting clay’s will be their monthly shoot on Sunday 12th December, this will be a 100-target field shoot starting at 10am. If wet a five-stand shoot will be held.

For information on clay target shooting contact Norm Brook 0458 664 541.

Any Person wishing to obtain a long arm firearm licence can contact Wayne Facey on 0414 524 059 or Norm Brook.

The next S.S.A.A. sporting shooters .22 calibre and other rimfire rifle (.22 magnum or.17HMR) will be held this Sunday 21st November 2021 starting at 10am. The centre-fire shoot will take place at 2pm on Sunday after the rimfire shoot.

All target shooters are welcome to attend these shoots. Junior shooters must be 12 years or over.

Local range rules apply to all Forbes SSAA ranges. Like us on Facebook @ForbesSportingShooters.

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 80
  • 81
  • 82
  • 83
  • 84
  • …
  • 534
  • Next Page »

Click here to download the recent issue (176) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (1.6MB PDF) – 13th February 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Forbes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Recent Articles

  • A $7.6 Million Boost For Forbes Future Water Security February 12, 2026
  • Mayoral Notes February 12, 2026
  • Snippets… February 12, 2026
  • Indigenous Storytellers Scholarship Returns February 12, 2026
  • Meet Indigenous Chef Mindy Woods At Forbes Crop Swap February 12, 2026

Phoenix Office 7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor 0432 337 278
editor@forbesphoenix.com.au

Sales 0432 337 278
sales@forbesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy. View our Conflict Resolution Process. View our Ethics and Complaints Policy. Want to advertise with us? Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in