• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Snippets
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Council Comments
  • Special Interests
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
    • What’s Hot
  • Features
    • Women in Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Loving Local Living
    • Wellness Wise
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Forbes Phoenix

Forbes Phoenix

$8 Million To Prevent Suicides Among High-Risk Groups

September 3, 2021 by Maggi Barnard


Older people, the LGBTIQ community and people living in regional NSW are among the at-risk groups who will now have improved access to mental health support thanks to the NSW Government’s Suicide Prevention Fund.
Minister for Mental Health Bronnie Taylor said that $8 million in funding has been allocated to six organisations committed to engaging with communities known to have higher rates of suicide.

“We know that there are some groups of individuals who are at greater risk of suicide due to issues such as past trauma, stigma or isolation,” Mrs Taylor said.

“These experiences not only destabilise their mental health and sense of connectedness, they also make it extremely hard to ask for support. This is all about encouraging safe conversations around suicide and suicidal behaviour so people in these priority groups know how and where to access the help that is right for them.”

The NSW Government is also in the final stages of identifying an Aboriginal-owned organisation to deliver targeted suicide prevention activities to First Australians.

The funded services and activities are ACON, Anglican Community Services, HealthWise – NE/ NW Health, Grand Pacific Health, Suicide Prevention Australia and Wellways Australia. The $8 million investment is in addition to the $87 million To-wards Zero Suicides investment. Towards Zero Suicides is a NSW Premier’s Priority.

If you, or someone you know, is thinking about suicide or experiencing a personal crisis, please seek help immediately by calling 000 (Triple Zero). For anyone who is struggling, you can call the below helplines for support and advice: Lifeline 13 11 14, Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800, NSW Mental Health Line 1800 011 511.

One Mask Shot For Regional NSW

August 27, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

MASK CHANCE SALOON: No it’s not a new Daft Punk album launch, it’s shopping in Forbes in 2021 as black lab Nacho, Benjamin Parslow and daughter River.

As cases across NSW start inching towards a thousand a day and the number of those infected in Western NSW also grows to near 400 including known COVID cases now in Parkes, Forbes, COVID-free for now, is looking more like an island surrounded by infection. Bunnings remains a venue of concern.

The burgeoning numbers prompted a swift response from the Berejiklian NSW Liberal Government who not only extended lockdown until this weekend – with the potential of further extensions – also tighter restrictions such as mandatory mask wearing for all adults outdoors and permits to travel into regional NSW from Greater Sydney. It is the latest in an extension to police powers given to the men in blue by the Berejiklian lead Coalition.

The new measures came in while NSW is recording higher vaccination rates than those of the UK and the USA over the last week, around a third of the of the population across Australia and a third of the population in NSW having received both doses, over half of Australians with at least one shot and close to 125,000 doses handed out on Wednesday.

Mask wearing is now required outside at all times and fines will be applied to those disobeying public health orders, police said.

For local man Benjamin Parslow, shopping has never been the same. “What used to take a few minutes now takes a bit longer,” Mr Parslow said. It’s a little surreal – especially walking into banks and service stations with a mask on,” he said. “It is what it is.”

Ag Visa A Win For The Regions

August 27, 2021 by Maggi Barnard


Farmers across the Riverina and Central West will “greatly benefit” from the newly announced Agricultural Worker Visa, Riverina MP Michael McCormack said. The Federal Government has delivered a vital agriculture visa to help secure the future of rural and regional Australia.

The visa will provide a long term and reliable workforce for our critical industries. Mr McCormack said the Agriculture Minister David Litttleproud and he had agreed on an Agricultural Visa with the Prime Minister in June and was pleased to see it implemented.

“The Agricultural Worker Visa delivers on the Federal Government’s commitment to best support our food and fibre producers,” Mr McCormack said.

“It is important our farmers have the confidence to plant a crop and know they will have access to a reliable workforce to assist during harvest, and this visa will deliver just that.

“The Agricultural Worker Visa will help to steady the agriculture sector as we build it to a $100 billion industry by 2030.”

The Government’s primary and growing method for meeting agricultural workforce shortages are the existing Seasonal Worker Programme and Pacific Labour Scheme. The new visa program will build on these.

Between now and March 2022, the number of Pacific and Timorese workers in Australia will double to more than 24,000. These workers are highly valued by Australian industry and are critical to Australia’s horticultural and meat processing sectors, including during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Forbes Police Join NSW Operation

August 20, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

Forbes Police are the latest to join the state-wide Operation Stay-At-Home as COVID continues to spread across the Central West.

Penalties have significantly increased after police were granted extra powers by the Berejiklian government as the pandemic infiltrates the region. Breaching self-isolation rules, lying on a permit and lying to a contact tracer now carry $5,000 fines.

Superintendent Shane Jessep has confirmed local police will investigate claims of breaches of the public health orders and follow up.

The crackdown comes despite record amounts of calls to Crimestoppers over the past month especially as more members of the public continue to dob in thy neighbour for breaches.

Penalties are now as follows:
• $5,000 on the spot fine for breaching self-isolation rules;
• $5,000 on the spot fine for lying on a permit (already a criminal offence);
• $5,000 on the spot fine for lying to a contact tracer (already a criminal offence);
• $3,000 on the spot fine for breaching the two-person outdoor exercise/recreation rule; and
• $3,000 on the spot fine for breaching rules around entry into regional NSW for authorised work, inspecting real estate and travelling to your second home.

Jessep said that normal crime prevention and law enforcement will still be a priority and “if you have an emergency, please dial 000”. To report COVID breaches, please contact Crimestoppers 1800 333 000.

NSW Police last Saturday announced that Operation Stay-At-Home. Significantly, 1400 officers attached to Traffic and Highway Patrol Command will be dedicated to both static and mobile COVID-19 compliance operations on the state’s roads.

A further 500 Australian Defence Force troops, in addition to 300 deployed, will assist with compliance checks and patrols. The Central West can expect to start seeing a similar roll-out over the next few weeks.

Learn From Home School Support

August 20, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

HOME-SCHOOLING 2021: Violet and Lexi Millerd show up for their first day of home-school after the state-wide lockdown was imposed across NSW last Saturday August 14 by Premier Gladys Berejiklian. Like all kids across the state, they will access LearnFromHome resources to continue their learning.

With NSW going into lockdown this week, children from across Forbes Shire woke up last Monday morning to the familiar site of parents (and teachers) for a week of homeschool.

For Forbes Public School students Lexi and Violet Millerd, home-school is nothing new having had their first taste back in early 2020 when the COVID pandemic first broke.

“We have done home school before and I really enjoyed it,” said Lexi. “It was great and it never bothered me at all,” she said.

For Violet, last year was her first year at school and the disruption to Kindergarten for some while initially challenging eventually became a footnote in what was still a good year.

“I did miss my friends last year when we first heard about ‘Rona,” said Violet. “But dad was a great teacher so it was fun!” Lexi agreed.

LearnFromHome started across regional NSW this week for schools. Schools are still open for families who need it. Your school should contact you regarding LearnFromHome. Online resources are also available on https://fal.cn/3gGKw.

Get tested immediately if you or your child have any symptoms, and do not attend school. NSW Health: www.health.nsw.gov.au/

Visit https://fal.cn/3gGKv for the latest COVID-19 advice.

Forbes Shire Under Strict Stay-At-Home Orders

August 20, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

The Forbes Shire is under strict Stay-at-home orders along with the rest of regional NSW until 12.01am Sunday August 22nd 2021. Mayor of Forbes Shire, Phyllis Miller, would like everyone to remain calm and follow NSW Health guidelines.

“I want to encourage all of our community to go and get tested for COVID-19,” said Mayor Phyllis Miller OAM.

“Parkes has detected COVID in their sewage system and it is yet to be determined if there is a case in Parkes. The two towns are so closely linked we need to treat this as if we are one town,” Phyllis said.

COVID testing is set up at the Forbes Showground from 8am – 2pm daily with people urged to go and get tested if they are showing even the mildest of symptoms.

“We need to keep our community safe and get this under control,” she said.

“We need everyone to stay at home for the rest of this week. It is a reasonable excuse to leave your home for work – but only if it cannot be done from home. By all means continue to exercise but keep to the guidelines of exercising with your masks on and limiting it to two people together at one time.”

Forbes Shire Council administration office will be closed to the public during this time. The office is closed to the public but will continue to provide essential services within. Daroobalgie Waste Facility is closed to the public until further notice. Those residents who reside outside the urban collection area are asked to hold their waste until the landfill reopens to the public. Kerbside collection will also continue as scheduled.

“Council understands the frustration this closure may cause, however, it is in the interest of the community’s well-being and safety.”

Forbes Gets Ultrasound Upgrades

August 13, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

ULTRASOUND UPGRADES: Sonographer Janelle Toole, Forbes Health Service Medical Imaging Manager Jenny Webb and Sonographer Suzanne Woods.

In a real boost to the region, residents in Forbes, Orange and Dubbo are reaping the benefits of almost half a million dollars’ worth of state-of-the-art imaging equipment upgrades at the hospitals. Western NSW Local Health District (WNSWLHD) invested $450,000 to upgrade the three sites’ ultra-sound machines.

WNSWLHD Medical Imaging Services General Manager James Harvey said, “This provides an important boost to the region’s Medical Imaging services. We have a very thorough replacement program for our Medical Imaging equipment, this year alone we have replaced nearly $3.5 million worth of equipment across a range of sites including Orange, Dubbo, Forbes, Coonabarabran and Bourke.”

“We strive to ensure our Medical Imaging Departments and staff utilise the best and most up-to-date equipment as possible, leading to improved diagnostic outcomes for patients.”

All three new machines are operational and in use while the new unit at Forbes Hospital is providing patients in the area with more access to care – something many have been championing for some time.

Forbes Health Service Medical Imaging Manager, Jenny Webb was ecstatic with the news.

“Having world class, state-of-the-art imaging equipment in a rural community benefits all patients referred to our Medical Imaging Service. We can offer a wide variety of scan types that patients don’t need to travel elsewhere for – saving time, effort, money and transport,” she said.

“Any patient that requires an ultrasound, from within the hospital or a referral, can access Forbes Medical Imaging ultrasound services. Ultrasound uses no radiation and is excellent at visualising soft tissues such as organs, muscles, blood flows and commonly used for pregnancy.”

The equipment has been funded through a combination of leasing, trade-ins and capital funding. The WNSWLHD budget for 2020-21 is more than $1 billion, that’s $21 million more than the previous year.

Happy 1st Birthday Chiropractic Life Forbes

August 13, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

SERVICING THE CENTRAL WEST: Deb Weaver and Dr Daniel Rasmusson of Chiropractic Life service Forbes, Parkes, Cowra, Canowindra and Grenfell.

Dr. Daniel Rasmusson has just turned over a year in practice here in Forbes and is more excited than ever to be a part of this community.

Dan’s chiropractic story began in his home town in Billesholm, Sweden where he had an interest in health & fitness and started powerlifting and bodybuilding. Dan discovered chiropractic as he researched ways to improve his overall performance. Fascinated by his research, he tried it for himself and was blown away by his results.

Dan enrolled himself at the best Chiropractic School in the world; The New Zealand College of Chiropractic, where he spent the next 5 years. Shortly thereafter he was headhunted by CEO of Chiropractic Life, Dr. Adam McKenzie. After one week visiting Forbes, he had fallen in love with the rural town and its amazing community.

Unfortunately, plans changed as Dan had to wait over 6 months for his visa to be approved. Meanwhile the practice was temporarily closed. This August we are celebrating 12 months since Dr. Dan has been officially practicing in Forbes. Dan is loving his life here and is excited to continue helping the people of our community live their healthiest lives.

Chiropractic Life is located at 39A South Gloucester Street, Forbes. Call 02 6815 7877 or go to www.chiropracticlife.com.au

New Case In Dubbo As COVID Creeps Closer

August 13, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

With three states and numerous LGAs in NSW in lockdown this week including Dubbo, Forbes remains relatively unscathed, yet the COVID Delta strain continues to creep closer. At the time of publication, two people in Dubbo had tested positive to COVID on Tuesday evening. Both school’s impacted were subsequently closed as a precaution and all staff and students were encouraged to self-isolate until further notice.

WNSWLHD CEO Scott McLachlan has encouraged the community to follow public health orders and get vaccinated as soon as possible. With burgeoning numbers across the state showing no signs of abating, McLachlan echoed his sentiments from last week encouraging people to get the AstraZeneca shot – which has now been approved for those 18 years + and in ready supply.

As of last week, just over 40 per cent of the Central West have now had a first dose of vaccine with only a fraction more than 16 per cent having had two. About 41,000 COVID tests have been conducted in the WNSWLHD in the last month – numbers McLachlan hopes will grow along with vaccinations. The Federal Government also announced that NSW will also receive 180,000 Pfizer doses in the next two weeks with supplies expected to come into the district about August 16. Moderna vaccines should arrive in the district in approximately 4-5 months.

Community members with questions about COVID-19 can contact the Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080. For information on COVID-19 testing locations go to the NSW Government website at www.nsw.gov.au and click the COVID-19 button to search for your nearest location.

Residents Urged Not To Ignore Life-Saving Test

August 6, 2021 by Maggi Barnard

SILENT KILLER: Bowel Cancer kills 54% of men and claims over 100 lives each week making it the second most fatal of all cancers in Australia. Over 15,000 new cases are diagnosed each year – approximately the size of Parkes.

New figures from the Cancer Institute NSW show that in 2021, almost 226 people in Western NSW Local Health District (WNSWLHD) will be diagnosed with bowel cancer and around 81 will die from the disease.

However, experts say a simple test could change this. Taking part in regular bowel cancer screening can help detect cancer early and, in some cases, help to prevent cancer by picking up changes before cancer develops.

The National Bowel Cancer Screening Program sends a bowel cancer screening test kit to all eligible Australians aged 50 to 74, every two years. This kit, which can be done in a person’s home, can detect potential warning signs of bowel cancer at a very early stage, before symptoms develop.

Currently in NSW, only 40.8 percent of test kits sent out by the
WNSWLHD Director Cancer Services and Innovation Dr. Ruth Jones, also urged men and women aged 50 to 74 to screen for bowel cancer.

“Around 81 people in WNSWLHD will lose their life to bowel cancer this year. My message to everyone in our community is do the test when it comes in the post. Don’t put it off. This piece of mail could save your life. We need people to stop putting the test away in a drawer and forgetting about it.”

Over the past five years, the NSW Government, through the Cancer Institute NSW, has invested more than $25 million in bowel cancer, including for public awareness and education campaigns, and grants to local community and health organisations to promote bowel cancer screening.

For more information on the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program, visit cancer.nsw.gov.au and if you have any symptoms or change in bowel habits, please talk to your GP.

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 74
  • 75
  • 76
  • 77
  • 78
  • …
  • 121
  • Next Page »

Click here to download the recent issue (202) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (1.9MB PDF) – 14th August 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Forbes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Recent Articles

  • Disability Inclusion Matters In Central West NSW August 20, 2026
  • Mayoral Notes August 20, 2026
  • Snippets… August 20, 2026
  • Forbes Garden Club Report August 20, 2026
  • Protecting Our Environment And Agriculture August 20, 2026

Phoenix Office 7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor 0432 337 278
editor@forbesphoenix.com.au

Sales 0432 337 278
sales@forbesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy. View our Conflict Resolution Process. View our Ethics and Complaints Policy. Want to advertise with us? Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

nsw government logo

The Forbes Phoenix's Digital Diversification of Free Regional Media project is proudly funded by the NSW Government Regional Media Fund