• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Snippets
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Council Comments
  • Special Interests
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
    • What’s Hot
  • Features
    • Women in Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Loving Local Living
    • Wellness Wise
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Forbes Phoenix

Forbes Phoenix

Home » Boost For Vital Road Safety Projects

Boost For Vital Road Safety Projects

May 17, 2018 by Maggi Barnard

The most dangerous hotspots on NSW roads will be upgraded as part of the NSW Government’s Safer Roads Program, which will help drive the number of deaths and serious injuries on our roads towards zero.

Parliamentary Secretary for Western NSW, Rick Colless last week announced a $70.9 million investment to deliver 180 vital safety upgrades this financial year.

The Safer Roads Program will:
• Include re-engineering dangerous curves, installing rumble strips to alert tired drivers, widening shoulders and
centre lines, and installing flexible wire rope barriers to help prevent run-off-road and head on crashes; and
• Uses proven engineering treatments to reduce the number and severity of crashes on the state’s roads.

The projects are estimated to save the equivalent of 425 deaths and serious injuries over the life of the program.

Rick said that 64% of the investment will be directed to regional NSW, delivering 125 projects.

“Last year, 272 people killed on NSW roads were in the country, so this will go a long way to reduce the number of fatalities on regional roads”.

“The NSW Government has invested over $282 million in road safety in the current financial year, and this $70.9 million from our Safer Roads Program will deliver more important safety upgrades in 2018- 19 for many of our most dangerous roads,” said Rick.

The Safer Roads Program was established in 2014 and to date $193.6 million has been invested and 490 road safety upgrades delivered.

Filed Under: Articles, General Interest

Click here to download the recent issue (177) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (1.9MB PDF) – 20th February 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Forbes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Recent Articles

  • Local Advocate Drives National Road Safety Change During National Driver Fatigue Week February 19, 2026
  • Mayoral Notes February 19, 2026
  • Snippets… February 19, 2026
  • Be Seen @ Forbes Public School Swimming Carnival February 19, 2026
  • Patchy Mobile Services An Ongoing Concern February 19, 2026

Phoenix Office 7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor 0432 337 278
editor@forbesphoenix.com.au

Sales 0432 337 278
sales@forbesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy. View our Conflict Resolution Process. View our Ethics and Complaints Policy. Want to advertise with us? Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

Go to mobile version