Every year, Forbes Shire Council celebrates the achievements, contributions and hard work of the shire’s youth with the Youth Week Awards. These awards recognise the vital role that young people play in making Forbes a vibrant and strong community and are presented as part of the week long Youth Week activities to be held from 14th to 22nd April.
Rosie Yapp explains what this recognition means to her:
1. Which award did you win? Youth Citizen of the Year (Forbes)
2. Why do you think you won the award? I won the award because someone kind and thoughtful nominated me.
3. Has winning the award changed your life? How? Winning the award made me aware that things I do are appreciated. I was incredibly surprised and wasn’t sure I deserved it, but I’m so happy I received it. Also, it looks very good on a resume!
4. Do you do anything differently now? Nothing much has changed, I go about things the same way, but it did boost my confidence.
5. Why do you think it is important Forbes has the Youth Week Awards? It celebrates and encourages awesome young people by letting them know they are appreciated.
Nominations for the 2018 Youth Week Awards closed on Wednesday.
“These awards are a great acknowledgement of the awesome things Forbes youth are achieving in and for our community. I really hope people of Forbes have nominated those youth who deserve this accolade, as I am certain there are many who do,” said Forbes Shire Council’s Youth Development Assistant, Lauren Cook.
The awards ceremony will be held on Saturday, 21st April at Halpin Flat, starting at 12 noon, with the general public invited to attend.
“It’s going to be a great day celebrating Forbes’ youth, with the Youth Week Awards, music and food.”