Over the weekend, the third staging of the Sand Grass Greens Championships was held at Grenfell and Forbes courses. The event, managed by GolfNSW and sponsored by Forbes Shire Council, was attended by over 70 players, travelling from 16 clubs across regional and city NSW.
The first round was played at Grenfell on Saturday. A brief shower of rain did not help the putting on the sand greens but conditions improved as did the scores.
The Round 1 Men’s Handicap winner, on count back, was Ash Whitechurch (Grenfell) with 38 points. The Ladies Handicap winner was Sally Mitton (Grenfell) with 35 points and also a winner in count back. The NTP’s went to: 9th –Men – A McDonald (F), Ladies – nil; 18th –Men – Z Kelly (Parkes) and L McCutcheon (Trangie).
On Sunday, the players were at Forbes playing on grass greens. The Round 2 Men’s Handicap winner, on count back, was Geoff Read (The Ridge) with 36 points.
The Ladies Handicap winner was Chantelle Greaves (Dunedoo) with 39 points.
The NTP’s went to: 9th –Men – B Shine (F), Ladies – J Fletcher (F); 18th –Men – Gerry Bassingthwaite (Cootamundra), Ladies – V Forsyth (G).
The 36-hole event prize winners were:
• 36-hole Scratch winner: M Hale (Mudgee) 67 points.
• 36-hole Scratch runner-up: G Harding (Young) 51 points.
• 36-hole Nett winner: B Hughes (Grenfell) 65 points.
• 36-hole Nett runner-up: I Bown (Forbes) 64 on c/b.
• 36-hole Scratch winner: C Greaves (Dunedoo) 52 points.
• 36-hole Scratch runner-up: L Harding (Young) 43 points.
• 36-hole Nett winner: K Solberg (Dunedoo) 71 pts.
• 36-hole Nett runner-up: V Forsyth (Grenfell) 66 pts.
There were also prizes for a team event, where the prizes were $500 from GolfNSW to go towards junior promotion programmes at the club. The winners were:
• 1st: Grenfell (V Forsyth, B Hughes, C Johnson, A Whitechurch).
• 2nd: Forbes (S Grallelis, I Bown, A Rees, G Drane).
• 3rd: Cootamundra (G Bassingthwaite, G Byrne, G Ward).
By Short Putt