• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Snippets
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Council Comments
  • Special Interests
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
    • What’s Hot
  • Features
    • Women in Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Loving Local Living
    • Wellness Wise
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Forbes Phoenix

Forbes Phoenix

Home » Recount Confirms New Member For Orange

Recount Confirms New Member For Orange

November 24, 2016 by Maggi Barnard

download-1

Philip Donato of the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers party is the new Member for Orange. He was declared the winner nine days after the Orange by-election and a recount of votes. He took the seat by just 50 votes from his Nationals counterpart Scott Barrett. It is the first time in the party’s 21-year history to have a Member of Parliament in the Lower House. “I am humbled by the result and to be the seventh Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party representative elected nation wide,” Philip said.

He promised to be a representative for all people in the Orange electorate. “I will work hard to gain everybody’s trust.” Scott issued a press statement saying he met with the winner to formally concede. “I thanked him for the upstanding and respectful way in which he conducted himself during this by-election campaign,” Scott said.

“A clear message was sent from the people of the Central West at this by-election, and it’s a message that must be heeded.” He said the Nationals had to remain focused on improving lives of the people who live in the great communities of regional NSW. With the win, Philip ended the Nationals’ 69-year stranglehold on the regional electorate. The Nationals held the seat by more than 20% before the by-election. The seat of Orange became vacant when former MP Andrew Gee resigned to run for Federal Parliament earlier this year.

Filed Under: Articles, General Interest

Click here to download the recent issue (176) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (1.6MB PDF) – 13th February 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Forbes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Recent Articles

  • A $7.6 Million Boost For Forbes Future Water Security February 12, 2026
  • Mayoral Notes February 12, 2026
  • Snippets… February 12, 2026
  • Indigenous Storytellers Scholarship Returns February 12, 2026
  • Meet Indigenous Chef Mindy Woods At Forbes Crop Swap February 12, 2026

Phoenix Office 7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor 0432 337 278
editor@forbesphoenix.com.au

Sales 0432 337 278
sales@forbesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy. View our Conflict Resolution Process. View our Ethics and Complaints Policy. Want to advertise with us? Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

Go to mobile version