Forbes turned on an absolutely beautiful day for the second invitational regatta with more than 100 paddlers from nine different clubs making it an extremely competitive day of racing on Lake Forbes.
The day consisted of heats and finals in six different categories. The Forbes Dragon Boat Club’s Lachlan Dragons won two of the finals wearing their brand-new club shirts. They doggedly tried to defend their Bridge to Bridge title over 230m, but missed out by 0.03 seconds to Colour City in an epic final race of the day with Outback Dragons finishing 0.78 seconds behind Forbes.
“All the visiting teams were impressed by the fantastic venue and how well organised and executed the event was,” said Chris Favell of FDBC.
A large number of volunteers assisted, while the local SES and Rural Fire Service were helped out as first aiders and water safety crews.
“All in all the day was a wonderful example of competition, social interaction and camaraderie for our western dragon boat community.”
The day’s results were:
• Sports Women 200m: 1 Colour City 72.16; 2 Lachlan Dragons 74.22; 3 Parkes Endeavour Dragons 77.35
• Sports Open 200m: 1 Lachlan Dragons 66.66; 2 Outback Dragons 70.71; 3 Colour City 71.94
• Dash for Cash 100m: 1 Lachlan Dragons Lightening 39.45; 2 Colour City Purple 39.76; 3 Outback Dragons Blue 40.41
• Sports mixed 200m: 1 Outback Dragons 71.33; 2 Colour City 71.44; 3 Lachlan Dragons 71.47
• Bridge to Bridge 230m: 1 Colour City 74.81; 2 Lachlan Dragons 74.84; 3 Outback Dragons 75.62
• Sweep Event: Colour City 33.37
Raffle major prize winners: 1st 200L of fuel Alex Riley; 2nd Canvas Artwork Wendy Nelson; 3rd Picnic Hamper Nicole Williams; 4th Oztrail change room Ally Hetherington; 5th Chill Float Session Wendy Nelson; 6th Toaster & Kettle Luke Byrne; 7th $50 Ampol fuel card Jane Burley; 8th 2x $25 Ampol fuel cards Rachel Samuels.