NSW Minister for Health and Minister for Medical Research, Brad Hazzard, stated there would be no changes to the services available at both the Forbes and Parkes Hospitals.
At a Joint Organisation Meeting in Sydney last week Mr Hazzard stated the services currently available in these two hospitals will remain as is, despite the recent rumours. The message was reaffirmed at the Country Mayors Meeting on Friday 31st May in which Parkes Shire Mayor, Ken Keith OAM asked the question, with the same response from the minister.
“I want to assure the residents of Forbes and Parkes that we will continue to advocate on our communities behalf to ensure there are no losses of services or staff,” says Forbes Shire Council Mayor, Phyllis Miller OAM. “We have had confirmation from Minister Hazzard that our two hospitals will continue to operate as they are.”
A shortage of doctors in remote and regional centres is leaving some Australians without access to basic medical services.
“The two towns continue to work with State and Federal Governments to ensure the doctor numbers remain,” says Mayor Miller. “As a rural community we are entitled to medical facilities and services the same as our city counterparts have.”