It’s hard, but with help and support, you can quit smoking. Quitting smoking can be one of the most difficult, yet rewarding, things a person can do. Most smokers say they want to quit, and may have tried at least once.
Some are successful the first time, but others try numerous times before they finally quit for good. It might take time, as your body has become dependent on nicotine, but many people have succeeded in giving up smoking. The benefits of quitting are felt almost straight away. Depending on how much you smoked, you should start seeing benefits in a week.
The first month
• In 12 hours excess carbon monoxide is out of your blood
• In 5 days most nicotine is out of your body
• In 1 week your sense of taste and smell improves
• In 1 month your skin appearance is likely to improve
The first year
• In 2 months your lungs will no longer be producing extra phlegm caused by smoking
• In 3 months your lung function and blood flow improves
• In 12 months your risk of heart disease has halved
Longer term benefits
• In 5 years your risk of a stroke has dramatically decreased
• In 10 years your risk of lung cancer is less than half that of a continuing smoker and continues falling
• In 15 years your risk of heart attack and stroke is almost the same as a person who has never smoked.
If you’d like to quit smoking for good, call into Flannery’s Pharmacy and talk to one of our pharmacists. They can give you information, advice and support to help you quit for good.