Flannery’s Pharmacy evolved from a partnership between Joe Finn and Ron Flannery just over 60 years ago.
Ron was a local lad whose family owned hotels in the town. Flannery’s Hotel, as it was originally known and later renamed The Australia Hotel on the corner of Lachlan and Templar Streets, was in the family until around 1965.
Ron went to Marist Brothers College, Forbes, and then moved to Sydney to study pharmacy at the University of Sydney. He returned after completing his apprenticeship in Bondi Beach circa 1952/3.
Ron went into partnership with Joe Finn and formed the Finn and Flannery Pharmacy in Rankin Street. At the time there were two other pharmacies in Forbes.
After a few years Ron purchased Joe Finn’s share and renamed it Flannery’s Pharmacy around 1956/7. The business has since operated under that name and moved to three different locations in Rankin Street.
In 1975 the pharmacy moved to the current News On Rankin site, merged with Michael’s Pharmacy in 1994 and finally moved to its current location in September 1994.
Ron married Mary Rein in 1957 and they co-owned the pharmacy until Ron’s death in 1990. Ron’s son, Michael, went into partnership with Mary and ultimately merged the two family businesses in 1994.
Upon Mary’s death in 1997, Michael took over sole ownership until 2001 when he was joined by Tania Dwyer (nee Baker).Tania and her family moved to the South Coast in 2007.
In 2006 Sarah Hazell (nee Miller) joined the partnership. Sarah and Michael remain owners of the business today.