The Forbes Basketball Association will rise from the ashes this year and restart competition after 15 years in the wilderness. The re-establishment of the association has been nine months in the making, after a number of now current committee members came together with their children wanting to play basketball.
Officials from Basketball NSW attended a meeting with them last year and gave them recognition, and competition is expected to start in the coming weeks. A registration day was held last Saturday where around 40 people registered, and it is hoped the same number will register again this Saturday.
Games will be held at the South Circle sports fields basketball courts and age divisions will be 10 years and under, under 12s, under 14s, under 16s and under 18s. At this stage divisions will depend on player numbers, and there will only be junior teams.
Association committee member Gavin Montgomery said competition would run during school terms throughout the year. “We’re going to run a three on three [players on court] competition in the first term before we move to full teams [five on five] in the winter competition in terms two and three,” Montgomery said.
The association has received various grants to help kick-start competition, and will spend funding from Member for Orange Andrew Gee’s office to build lights at the basketball courts, enabling night competition.