The final two rounds of the Forbes Golf Championships were played over the weekend. Some exceptional scores resulted in surprise winners in some grades. Shane Sallaway scored a 68 Scratch on Saturday to lead the A-grade into the final round, while Kim Herbert and Ken Sander- son both had handy leaders in their grades. The C-grade was wide open with six possible winners.
Following some excellent play, the overall results are:
- A-Grade Scratch: Shane Sallaway (291) from Steve Betland (293).
- A-Grade Handicap: Shane Sallaway (283) from John Betland (295).
- A-Reserve Scratch: Kim Herbert (320) from John Zannes (333).
- B-Grade Scratch: Ken Sanderson (342) from Brian Everest (349).
- B-Grade Handicap: Ken Sanderson (290) from Brian Everest (293).
- C-Grade Scratch: Rod Besgrove (402) from Steve Grallelis (404).
- C-Grade Handicap: Steve Grallelis (308) from Rod Besgrove (310).
- Veterans Scratch: Peter Dawson (308).
- Veterans Handicap: Kim Herbert (280).
- Junior Scratch: Cameron McMillan (335).
- Junior Handicap: Lachlan Alley (418).
There were daily competitions played on both days. Saturday saw the Division 1 go to Shane Sallaway with his outstanding 66 nett. Runner-up was Steve Betland (70 nett). In Division 2, Don Ridley finished with 70 nett, ahead of runner-up Richard Smith with 71. The ball sweep went to 74 nett. The NTP’s went to: 9th – S Betland; 18th – E Gaffney.
The Sunday Division 1 winner was Brian Everest with 69 nett. Runner-up went to Ethan Gaffney (72). In Division 2, Steve Grallelis (68) triumphed, followed by Adam Currey (74). The ball sweep went to 75 nett on countback. The NTP’s went to: 9th – S Sallaway; 18th – L O’Connor.
This Sunday, there is a Charity Golf Day organised by Forbes Rotary. This is open to Club and social players, with play being in a 3-person Ambrose. The fee is $35, which includes a BBQ lunch. Contact the Pro Shop to put your name down.
By Short Putt