
Barbara Godger and Margaret Huggett were grabbing a bite to eat on their break volunteering at Vinnies.
Families are being reminded to download their new Active Kids voucher and save $100 per child on sport and recreation activities.
Minister for Sport Alister Henskens said a new Active Kids voucher became available on 1st January and would help ease pressure on family budgets.
“It might be the middle of summer, but winter sport registration is heating up and now is the perfect time for families to turn their attention to their new Active Kids voucher,” Mr Henskens said.
“The NSW Liberal and Nationals Government’s Active Kids program has turbocharged sporting participation across NSW, with more than 4.85 million vouchers redeemed, saving families $481 million.
“It’s the largest grassroots sport funding initiative in the nation and is driving enormous increases in participation across all sports.”
The NSW Government recently extended the Active Kids voucher program to include school holiday sports and recreation activities. The expansion of the program has contributed to a 40 per cent increase in voucher creation compared to the same period last year.
“It’s clear that NSW families have embraced the Liberal and Nationals Government’s Active Kids program and its expansion to include school holiday programs has been a hit.”
Families can access their child’s Active Kids voucher via the Service NSW app or website, attending a Service NSW Centre or by calling Service NSW on 13 77 88. For further information on the Active Kids Program, visit www.sport.nsw.gov.au/active-kids.
Christine Lloyd: I have a baby arriving in June, so that’s exciting. I’m hoping to get straight back to work and focus on my goal of having my own business in hospitality or possibly even teaching cookery.
Thomas Simpson: This year I want to hang out with my mates as much as I can and I am also looking forward to travelling to Sydney with my brother Kurt to see Ezy-E in concert.
(L-R) Ruby Mcnally, Grace Mcgirr, Marley Spedding: Each girl agreed the most exciting thing happening this year is starting high school. Ruby and Grace will attend Parkes High School, while Marley will be attending Red Bend Catholic College.
With the 2023 season underway, last Saturday saw 76 players contest the first round of the BWR Summer Competition. Our thanks to Brett and Cathy and the team from BWR Accountants and Advisors for their ongoing support.
Whilst the weather has turned back to our normal summer conditions the course is holding up thus far.
The leading players in this week were a few of our club stalwarts. Colleen Flynn found 44 points and some form in her golf bag. Colleen managed to finish 1 point in front of Ian Phipps, he fired a 76 off the stick. Next in was Bob Barter who managed a solid 42 points.
There were a host of players on 39 Richard Hamilton, Dub Rodgers, Robert Rea, Blake Smith, David Speakman and Mark Wright. Aaron Wilkie hitting a par round 72, with Blake Smith hitting a 75 and Andy Brownlow from Peak Hill a 76 and Michael Thomas a 79.
The Nearest The Pins this week were – on the Harvey Norman 2nd/11th won by Ian Phipps at 98cm, the Westlime 6th/15th won by Peter Picker at 352cm and the 9th/18th won by Peter Magill at 32cm. Ian picked up the prize at 150cm this week.
Ball winners were Bob Barter 42, Richard Hamilton, Rob Rea, Dub Rodgers, Mark Wright, Blake Smith, David Speakman 39, Judith Fisher, Usman Cheema, Wayne Tucker, Nick Strudwick 38.
Our first Telescope Tyres and Batteries Hankook Masters Monthly Medal was conducted on Saturday, 7th January with the daily sponsor being the Parkes Service Club.
In A Grade Robert Hey, 1 over par 73. Jack Elliott and Aaron Wilkie only 1 shot behind. Riall Harrison with a 78. Other notables shooting 78’s were Grady Magill and ex-President and Captain Mark Kelly. In the nett event Rob Hey with his 66 nett hard to reach for the A graders although Grady and Mark fired 67’s.
In B Grade James Ward hit 86 to beat Ian Hendry and brother Tony who came in with 87’s. In the nett event Dub Rodgers had a 69 nett to beat Beau Tanswell, with Nym Dziuba and Ian Phipps a stroke back.
In C Grade Peter Picker had a very good round of 87 beating Trevor Chatman by a shot and a further shot back to Finne Latu. In the nett event Peter’s 67 nett thus picking up the double. He beat in Trevor and also Finne just one stroke back.
The Griffins Leading Edge putting competition was taken out by Aaron Wilkie on 25 putts and the Wally Norman Vets Medal was won by Ian Phipps on 70 nett.
The Nearest The Pins on Saturday were; the Harvey Norman 11th by David Stevenson on 188cm, the Westlime 15th by Trevor Chatman on 295cm and the Central West Glass 18th Mark Wrightcm. The lucrative 11th hole was won by David Stevenson at 188cm this week.
Ball winners were Grady Magill, Mark Kelly 67, C.Muller, Trevor Chatman, Finne Latu 68, Mark Wright, Judy Fisher, Beau Tanswell 69.
The Forbes District Soccer Club (Forbes DSC) has been awarded two grants for Infrastructure and Participation by The Hon. Alisten Henskens SC MP.
The first grant of $13,050 for Young Matildas Girls All Inclusive Programs of Excellence will develop female committee leadership, female referee training and certifications, female coaching courses, training programs, school holiday camp with W League players, and participation in pathways programs and events.
The second grant of $103,506 will facilitate Forbes DSC canteen facilities & storage infrastructure revitalisation. The grant will be supplement by an additional $100,000 from Forbes Shire Council and $3,500 from Forbes DSC. The total of $207,000 will be used for the commercial upgrade of the canteen, outfitting of the office, conversion of old changeroom into female compliant referee/changeroom, a five bay storage facility including $20,000 towards a new strength and conditioning gym.
This funding underpins our new advanced training program to be delivered on Tuesday and Thursday morning before school along with our nutrition breakfast menu for players identified to play Country NSW, NPL, Lachlan Utd & Western NSW FC in the future.
Many thanks to Phyllis Miller and Forbes Shire Council, Andrew Fearnley Football NSW, Daniel Ristic Football NSW, local school Principals and local MP Phil Donato for supporting our vision and applications for funding.
Where were you born? Sydney.
Were you named after anyone? My initials BJ after my grandfather.
Which of your accomplishments are you most proud of? Getting married and having two great kids.
What historical moment stands out most in your memory? The recent Eugowra flooding. Helping clean up over there and listening to the stories of survival. They are a strong community.
What’s the single best piece of advice you’ve ever received? There’s always a reason and there’s always a solution.
What’s the greatest risk you’ve ever taken? Sky diving solo.
What are the three things you would take to a deserted island? A boat, fishing gear and a pallet of beer.
If you had to spend $10,000 today, how would you spend it? Build a patio at the back of the house.
When are you happiest? Playing golf and having a few beers with the boys.

At the Pavillion in Cooke Park for the handing over of half of the Elvis Gospel Service Donations to PACE were Alison Westcott, Neil Westcott, Andrew Taggert, Craig Bland, David Hayward, Tiffany Steel and James Leech.
The Parkes Elvis Festival Celebrated Its 30th Anniversary In Style: The 30th anniversary of the Parkes Elvis Festival was celebrated with a 5-day long extravaganza from Wednesday, 4th January to Sunday, 8th January 2023.
Themed “Blue Hawaii,” in honour of Elvis Presley’s 1961 hit musical, the Festival drew in over 25,000 Elvis fans from around the world to the Parkes, which was transformed into a tropical paradise for the occasion.
“We are thrilled to have celebrated 30 years of the King at the Parkes Elvis Festival. This year’s themed ‘Blue Hawaii’ event drew in a record number of Elvis fans from around the world to our regional town,” said Festival Director Tiffany Steel.
“The Festival is an important economic driver for the region, bringing millions into the local economy and supporting local businesses.”
“Feedback from Festival guests and locals has been incredible and we’re already looking ahead to how we can deliver another stellar event for 2024,” added Tiffany.
In 2024, Parkes Elvis Festival will celebrate its 31st year with the theme Jailhouse Rock.
Regional Seniors To Save $250 As Applications For Popular Travel Card Open: Seniors across regional NSW could save $250 on the cost of travel thanks to the NSW Liberal and Nationals Government’s Regional Seniors Travel Card.
Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional NSW Paul Toole said applications for the latest round of the highly successful program are now open and encouraged eligible seniors to cash in on the initiative.
“We know how much seniors value this card – it can mean the difference between an extra few trips to visit grandkids, the ease of seeing friends locally or just getting to the shops or attending medical appointments,” Mr Toole said.
The $250 pre-paid Visa card can be used on fuel, taxis, electric charging stations, pre-booked NSW TrainLink regional train and coaches, helping those eligible with the cost of getting from A to B.
Eligible NSW Women Can Claim Fertility Treatment Rebate: Exciting news has been announced that women across NSW who have IVF or other assisted reproductive technology (ART) treatments in private clinics can now claim a $2,000 rebate.
The cash rebate is the first of its kind in Australia and eligible women can apply for it now through their MyService NSW account or in person at a Service NSW Service Centre.
by Short Putt
The weather for outdoor activity was once again inviting to all, be they cricketers, surfers or golfers. The Forbes golfers took every advantage of the comfortable conditions and acquitted themselves well.
The Saturday Men’s competition was the Monthly Medal, sponsored by Nutrien Ag Solutions, and contested by a field of enthusiastic 76 players who were keen to do well.
The A-Grade saw Kim Herbert with a ‘runaway’ win, scoring 64 nett. Kim was comfortably ahead of Harry Callaghan (66) who led a bevy of strong players.
The B- Grade saw the closest contest. Ken Sanderson won on count back from Jake Hemming when both finished on 68 nett.
The C-Grade mimicked the A-grade in scores. Brian Clarke, who is in tip top form, scored 64 nett, ousting visitor Tom Wood (W/W) who had 66 nett. They went stride for stride, but Brian had the handicap advantage.
The NTP’s went to: 9th – R Murray, 18th – J Mallon. The Pro Shop Super-pin, on the 3rd green, went to Reggie Murray with a shot to 2.25 metres. The ball sweep went to 72 nett on count back. Check in the Pro Shop if you think you earned one.
It was pleasing to see many club players back on the course after their long break, and it is also pleasing to see a number of visiting players.
On Saturday, 28th January, the comp is an Individual Stableford, sponsored by Rob Allen Livestock Transport. Forbes will host the CWDGA Pennants on Sun 5 Feb, for which the course will be closed until after midday. Some teams still need players, but all are welcome to come and watch.
Head Pro Adam is organising a Mizuno Equipment Day on 16th February. Contact him or the Pro Shop if you want to try them out.
By Short Putt
The Regional Youth Taskforce will get a brand-new look with Minister for Regional Youth Ben Franklin announcing 18 new young leaders from across regional NSW who will advocate for their peers and deliver positive outcomes for young people.
“This group has been selected from more than 140 applicants, and includes two young people from each of the State’s nine regions who will meet throughout the year to focus on the NSW Regional Youth Framework pillars: work readiness, wellbeing, connectivity and community,” Mr Franklin said.
Poppy Starr, Cowra local, and daughter of our very own Phoenix Group of Newspapers designer, has been selected to represent the Central West and Orana region on the Regional Youth Taskforce for 2023.
Poppy applied for the Regional Taskforce position to help advocate for rural youth on a grander scale after spending time on the Cowra Youth Council.
“I enjoy being an active member of my local community and feeling like I can make a difference,” said Poppy.
The Taskforce allows members to have their say on ways the Government can improve outcomes for young people in regional NSW and better deliver services.
When asked what her focus would be during her time on the Regional Youth Taskforce, Poppy responded, “I am passionate about regional Australia and the agricultural industry. I believe to ensure sustainable regional communities into the future it is really important to keep young people in rural areas. This includes ensuring there are opportunities for further education, employment and community engagement.”
For more information on the Regional Youth Taskforce, visit: nsw.gov.au/RegionalYouthTaskforce.
After an exceptional 29 years at Northparkes Mines, Rob Cunningham, Manager of Mining – Underground and Surface and Statutory ticket holder, announced his retirement in January 2023.
Rob started at Northparkes Mines on 27th January 1994 as an Ore Processing Operator, among the original intake of workers.
During his significant 29 years at Northparkes, he has held a number of operational and management roles, including: Underground Team Leader, Underground Superintendent, Open Cut Superintendent, Open Cut Manager, Tunnel Boring Systems and Major Projects Manager, Health, Safety, Environment and Farms Manager, Underground Mining Manager and Operations Manager.
During Rob’s time at Northparkes, which reads much like the timeline of site itself, he has seen how the mine has grown and played an instrumental role in the development and success of our operations. Rob has modelled passion and commitment for Zero Harm Operations and has made an incredibly noteworthy contribution to our operation and the mining industry.
In 2018, Rob was awarded the NSW Minerals Council ‘Outstanding Contribution to NSW Mining’, which is a prestigious award and highlights his accomplished career.
Upon reflecting on his time at Northparkes, Rob said, “I am lucky to have held so many great roles at one Mining business, all backed by the support of my beautiful wife and two great kids. I am also grateful to achieve all that I have in my mining career in my hometown – the place where I was born and in a community that I love.”
Managing Director Jianjun Tian said, “As we congratulate Rob on his many achievements, and thank him for his countless contributions to Northparkes, I would also like to extend my best wishes and gratitude towards Rob’s family for their support throughout the years. As Rob moves into retirement, we wish him and his family all the best for the next chapter of life.”
About CMOC-Northparkes Mines
Northparkes is a copper and gold mine located 27 kilometres north-west of Parkes, in the Central West of New South Wales. Since 1993 Northparkes has been celebrated for high-quality copper deposits, low cost operations and loyal, committed people. Northparkes is a joint venture between China Molybdenum Co., Ltd (CMOC) (80%) and the Sumitomo Groups (20%).
Phoenix Office 7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871
Editor 0432 337 278
editor@forbesphoenix.com.au
Sales 0432 337 278
sales@forbesphoenix.com.au
View our Privacy Policy. View our Conflict Resolution Process. View our Ethics and Complaints Policy. Want to advertise with us? Information on our Community Promotions.
We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.
Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.
To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.