Forbes Phoenix

History Of The Parkes Camera Club

Members of the Parkes Camera Club in the 1960’s.

The Parkes Camera Club traces its begin­nings back to 1958, when Alan Steel and Jim Watts each purchased their own camer­as, a Yashica 35mm and a Kodak 35mm, re­spectively. As they began comparing notes and experimenting with photography, they recognised there may be others in the com­munity interested in developing their skills and formed a photographic group.

In 1959, the Methodist Church Trust of­fered the group the use of meeting rooms in Court Street, on the condition that the club operate under the name “The Methodist Camera Club.” Under this banner, the club staged the very first Parkes National Photo­graphic Exhibition in March 1960.

Following the success of the inaugural exhibition, members voted to rename the organisation the Parkes Photographic Soci­ety. Early members included President Don McAlpine, who later became a world-re­nowned cinematographer, Vice Presidents Herb Pollock and Ken Field, Secretary Alan Steel, Treasurer Alan Bennett, along with 20 other club members.

The club’s new meeting place was the old library meeting rooms in Currajong St. The club continued to meet there until the end of 1986. In January 1987, the club moved to the Parkes Neighbourhood Centre in Cur­rajong Street, where it still proudly meets twice a month today. If you are interested in joining the Parkes Camera Club please contact cameraclubparkes@gmail.com.

Exit mobile version